Meditation is something that I have found helps bring me back to the present so to speak. I have found it a great way to calm myself and relax my mind and body.
I like to meditate early in the morning before my house wakes up. I try to think of calming positive thoughts which helps set up my mood for the day. It could be anything from feeling nervous about travelling somewhere new or going out socializing with friends. Both of these will cause me to panic and raise my anxiety. By sitting down or laying down, breathing slowly and deeply and thinking positive thoughts it helps reduce my beating heart, focus my mind and enable me to meet my friends or travel to a new destination. I’m not saying I am really confident after I have meditated and can take on the world, it just helps me focus and change my thought process enough to encourage me to give it a go.
My mind is continuously on the go, I used to find it very hard to shut off and often my sleep was interrupted or it took me ages to drift off. It is all about the breathing. It really helps slow down my thoughts to a point where they are quiet and calm. It’s great before I go to sleep.
Here are a few tips to help you get started.
- Meditation doesn’t have to take long. 5-10 minutes a day is all you need.
- Put headphones in your ears when your listening to music.
- You can download meditation music from Youtube or just use calming music of your own.
- Make sure you have a cup of water to drink afterwards if you are meditating in the morning, it will help you wake up your body and mind. I find I feel foggy after meditating in the morning.
- Don’t rush it, if you can’t do 10 minutes straight away stick to 5 minutes and build yourself up.
- You don’t have to be completely still. Your body may take time to be able to stay still.
- Just remember to breathe in and out slowly and deeply. The rest will probably come naturally.
- Don’t worry if when you meditate and a person on the audio tells you to ground yourself and feel the ground beneath your feet and you can’t. I have never been able to walk on the ground. I fly with an eagle!
I hope you have found these tips helpful and enjoy a more restful approach to daily life.